WORK / Audible
athenahealth is the leader in cloud-based healthcare services to over 80,000 providers. athenahealth wanted to create a destination for their thought leadership content that inspired the user to return, connect with their network of peers, explore data, and eventually athenahealth’s services.
athenahealth came to Genuine with the goal of creating an innovative, mobile-first online content hub that delivers highly engaging, actionable insights to fuel the strategies of today’s forward-thinking C-Suite healthcare leaders.
- Project Type:
- Content Hub Design
- My Role:
- Lead UX Designer
- Project Team:
- Kristen Todd - Producer, Lisa Smedberg - Account Director, Jillian Curran - Senior Strategist, Laura Tirado - Associate Creative Director, Matt Nagy - Senior Designer, Mike Norman - SVP of Technology, Patrick Connors - UI Developer
- February 2016 - May 2016
- View Site:
Content Structure Workshop & Design Studio
During our content structure workshop we sketched with client the homepage to establish priorities. It was helpful to have the team prioritize content for a mobile first approach.
We took a mobile first approach to the site design. Our focus was on the following key areas.
- Sticky social sharing icons that follow the user down the page allowing them to quickly share.
- Providing the user with the ability share the entire article or individual pieces and data points.
- As the user scrolls down the page they can see their progress and length of the article.
- Flexible templates were created using components allowing content authors to create engaging stories.
- Subscribe call to action slide out functionality was implemented when the user was two-thirds of the way through the article.
The team created a dynamic, immersive, and elegantly architected mobile-first content hub on WordPress, leveraging ACF (advanced custom fields) to support diverse content needs, helping to ensure article format is never stale or repetitive. This feature allows athenahealth’s editorial team to build custom articles that can accommodate video, infographics, quizzes, polls, data visualizations and key takeaways - leading to more time on page and further engagement for users with athenahealth content.
Since the launch, athenainsight is surpassing expectations, including attention time (4m, 4s) over 3x industry benchmarks, unique monthly visitors (10k+ initial, now 30k+ as of October 2017) surpassing the year-end goals, related brand platform boosts (increase in Twitter followers) and an average open rate of over 40% for associated email campaigns.
The team received a w3 Award for the athenaInsight work in 2016, a gold in the general website - health care services category.